Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's been awhile....


Jackal and Me....

Lots of things going on around here. The weather has been up and down. A week or two with below zero (F) temps overnight and highs in the single digits. I was still able to get out and do some snowshoeing and a little bit of XC skiing, despite the cold. Jackal and I spent some time at Big Woods on skis last Sunday afternoon. It was good, especially after a couple of hours out there on snowshoes that morning. The skiing frustrates me because you go out in the morning and the ski trails are good and by the afternoon those trails are obliterated by walkers. I mean, they are gone to the point that you can't even see them anymore. That takes some of the fun out of it but, hey, whatcha gonna do?

Haven't been out to the Greenbelt yet this year. I suspect that those trails are probably better since it's a bit more remote than Big Woods Lake. Mark? I know you've been out there....

I've actually spent more time on the snowshoes than the skis. It's pretty easy to get the heart rate up and keep it up on shoes. Good stuff!

It's time to get back on the trainer, I guess. I've neglected it this year. Believe me, I definitely need it! What I'd really like to do is to ride it in the mornings before work but I get up and go to work too early. I 'spose I could make some adjustments to the work schedule.... :)

That's about it for now. Get outside and enjoy it!

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

7 Comments:

Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Yeah, the Green Belt doesn't get "human" walking traffic, but tons of deer traffic and those critters can definitely obliterate the tracks in a hurry.

But their "tread" is narrow and never wavers, so they don't really affect much in terms of skiing.

Otherwise the Green Belt is all good. Especially further south, don't go north of Ranchero Road.

Better hurry though, the snow will be a melting now! :)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Good job getting out there on the "shoes & ski's". Too bad about the trails, jeezz, where I am there are two dedicated areas within 20K of each other for skate skiing and classic (yes, with deer tracks too).

A little break from the bike is always good for the soul, but yes, it is time to get back at it.

Oh & welcome back to blog land, good to see you haven't slipped over to the dark side (FB)Permanently.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't feel bad. I have been slacking more than you. No skis, showshoes or bikes in over two weeks. Damn work keeps getting in the way.
So, no more excuses for both of us. Picked up a tube for the 29er and plan to head back out this week now that the temps are coming up.
Have a good one. Glad to have you back!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Brian B said...

Wow. Your beard is getting very gray. My swimming pool froze over. 3/4" of ice. This stuff is getting old....... Think I'll move somewhere warm, Bermuda,Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico.....

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Brian B said...

Almost forgot, loved the Christmas card........ Thanks. Did you get pictures of Naomi??? David thinks he's too you to be a grandfather....

2:35 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

That is NOT a happy face on Carl. If looks could kill....:)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Ari said...

Hey Blue, get a pair of Nokian Studded Tires. My riding partner and I have been riding mountain bikes all winter. I cannot digest indoor training at all. I hope to see you in Grinnell in the spring.
Best to you,

Ari

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home